Sunday, March 14, 2010

Weekend Events

We told the girls no birthday parties after age 8, so this year Lauren invited 2 friends to ride the bus home with her, watch a movie and eat dinner with us. Lauren planned a little game with the girls and had them make hair bows together. They watched the Hannah Montana movie, and played a marshmallow game. When it was Lauren's turn, she ended up spooning marshmallows all over the room. So cute. I'm pretty sure Lauren turned this playdate into a birthday party, right under our noses.
*One funny thing...after the movie I suggested that the girls go outside and play. One of the girls said her mom won't let her play outside because she's afraid her daughter will get kidnapped. I know the mom, and I believe she told her that. Craaaazy.
Landon made some homemade pickles a week or so ago. They get better with age, and they're soooo yummy right now. We used pickling cucumbers that we got from Bountiful Baskets (that food co-op). These pickles are so much better than store-bought cucumbers.
Today I did my first sharing time since 2000 when I was last in the Primary Presidency. Junior sharing time was worse than I imagined, and I imagined it pretty bad. I just don't have it in me to use a little baby voice to talk to the thirty 3 year olds and twenty 4 year olds. When I showed them a DVD of a scripture story (from the Church-produced scripture DVDs...no Living Scriptures from me!) they were in a trance. Unfortunately, I chose one that was only 2 minutes long. I will choose a longer one next time. Senior sharing time was wonderful. It's like the difference between an insane asylum and a college classroom. Night and day. I get more opportunities to improve my methods next week and the week after.

3 comments:

Lorina LeFevre said...

the pickles sound really yummy!!

Shannon said...

You are brave to even attempt Sharing Time. Those kids can be little monsters but usually the teachers are the worst.

Anonymous said...

I cheered when I was released from Jr. Primary. They act like spawns of Satan! Send on the recipe for the pickles..they made my mouth juice up!