Monday, October 18, 2010

Teton Canyon

On Saturday I mentioned to Landon that I was sad that we didn't take a trip to Yellowstone or the Tetons this fall to see the leaves. Because he's the best husband ever, he planned a trip for us on Sunday afternoon to see the leaves on our side of the Tetons.
We drove to Driggs, Idaho then took a left and headed to the mountains. We passed through Alta, Wyoming and up Teton Canyon. It was beautiful! I couldn't believe we hadn't ever been there before. I'm sure it will be a place we'll return and roast hot dogs, hike or camp in the future. It was only about 60 miles each way, which isn't much farther than Island Park.

We let Lauren be the photographer on this trip. She took a lot of pictures! I also took pictures so Lauren could be in some of them.

After our hike, we had a picnic at the campground right near the trailheads. The metal boxes behind us are bear boxes. When you're camping, you put your food in the boxes so that bears can't get to them. As we've lived here and spent more and more time in bear country, I've developed a major bear phobia. I'm fine seeing them at Yellowstone when we're looking for them in the car, but I'm really scared of the idea of coming up on a bear while we're hiking or camping. I always feel better when Landon carries a gun with him while we're in bear country (which he always does).

By the way, our picnic was ham sandwiches, cucumber/carrot salad (Landon's creation), chips, candy, cookies, dried apples and gatorade/diet dr pepper/diet lime coke.

Evidently Lauren's experience at the slumber party didn't actually cure her obsession with candy. This is a private moment I caught of Lauren and a box of grape Nerds.

3 comments:

jenny said...

So fun! We never do anything cool on Sunday. We always just sleep. We may have to plan something for this Sunday...

Anonymous said...

I was in heaven driving home from Vernal with the awesomeness of the fall leaves. It was a Sunday-kind of spiritual experience.

Heidi said...

What a fun adventure!