When is January going to end???
This month the total of our bills (including medical bills, teacher recertification fees, kids' lunch money, in addition to our regular mortgage, HOA, internet, gas, electric, and phone bills) exceeded our income (which is only Landon's salary since I can't work right now) by $207.50. That doesn't include food, gas, household expenses, Emma's birthday, co-pays for medication, entertainment, clothing, etc. The only credit card we own is a JC Penney credit card (LIGHT BULB), so, thanks to the dregs of Landon's student loan from September, we're able to squeak by this month. If the government doesn't hurry up and finish the stupid tax changes so we can file our income tax return, next month we're going to raid the girls' meager savings accounts, and after that I might have to start hookin' on Main Street and 5th West. I'm not sure if there's a market for plus-size 39-year-old hunchbacks in this college town, but it might be the next logical step.
The weather is cold, icy and scary for me to walk outside in case I fall down and hurt my back even more, so I've been staying inside all day eating candy. By the way, I've run out of candy so I'm resorting to making cookies and treats, which I'm happy to say, helps a lot. A big shout-out to whichever prophet invented food storage, because I always have enough staples to make cookies.
Luckily, my husband is a teacher and can bring home laughs to share around the dinner table to ward away the discouragement:
Yesterday he was teaching the kids about the VCCV pattern to divide words into syllables (Vowel Consonant Consonant Vowel). He had the kids open their reading textbook and pick out words with that pattern so they could divide them. For example "winter" is divided between the N and the T so you have WIN and TER. Some kid chose "ashore." Landon said, "OK, let's see what happens when you divide it between the consonants. You have AS and...well let's not finish that one. It doesn't work because of the SH blend." But some kid yelled out, "You would have AS and HORE!" Landon kept going, but shared it at the lunch table with the other teachers and had a good laugh over that one. Of course, I explained to the girls why it was funny. They got the "AS" part, but not the "Hore" part, so I explained what a whore was at dinner last night. (It is in the scriptures, so I thought it was OK to explain what it meant.)
At another point in the day yesterday, he was teaching them how to take notes. A little girl raised her hand and said, "I already know how to take notes. My counselor taught me how to take notes when I go to counseling."
As usual, we're hanging in there...sometimes by a thread, but we're still hanging. I know we're not the only ones who have problems, and I know ours are small compared to many, but what kind of friend/sister/daughter would I be if I didn't take a depression dump on my family and friends now and then? I think you all know that I'm the kind of gal who likes to share the good times and the bad, so we can all be happy or sad together.
7 comments:
Thanks for sharing. Your problems are not to be compared as bigger or smaller. Remember that they are just as IMPORTANT as all of ours, and together we get stronger by carrying eachothers burdens!
Love you guys! I feel so blessed for great friends like you guys!
No problems are insignificant. Any time you want me to dump on your parade, I'd be happy to. Glad to hear you're not Suzy Sunshine all the time. ;)
I hope things get better. ((hugs))
I had a similar situation more than once. One week was filled with 116 hours of work amongst two jobs. It does end, but what's important is you have people who can help now(hint hint)
You are preaching to the choir, siter. When life sucks it tends to suck all at once. I promise it will look better later...well, maybe different at least.:)
I love your attitude!! You guys make @%#& even sound fun! Keep smiling or at least keep the rest of us smiling!
Life is rough isn't it?? You just never know what's around the corner. The best we can do is plow ahead with big doses of prayer and obedience and a good sprinkling of faith. You all are in my daily prayers, love you much. Hang tough!!
I am sure the city of Rexburg would appreciate the new business on Main Street... just make sure you get a permit first!
Post a Comment