Monday, February 28, 2011

Gem State Classic

Emma competed in a huge dance competition this weekend. There were teams from all over Idaho, Utah and some from Oregon. Luckily for us it was held at the new Madison High School, about a mile from our house! She had to get out of school early on Friday so she could come home and get ready. She was required to have her hair in an official "bun," and wear specific make-up for the competition. Friday afternoon/evening was the team competitions, and Saturday-all day-was the individual couple competitions. I took video of her individual competition, so I'll format it and post it in my next post. Pretty exciting! Throughout the weekend, I logged 8 hours of bleacher-sitting. It was killer on my back, but thanks to some leftover vicodin, I got through it. Friday, Landon and Lauren came just in time for Emma's actual performance, then Landon went home. He snuck in so he didn't have to pay, then left after about 30 minutes...lucky! The two of them stayed home on Saturday.Emma's team competed in the Rhythm/Latin section and ended up taking 4th place with a 90.25 rating, which is considered "superior." Everyone, including her coach, her team and all the parents were shocked. Her coach happens to be the owner of IBA (Idaho Ballroom Academy) and IBA sponsored this huge competition. She was the announcer for the event, so she told the kids she had to restrain herself from clapping for them, because they performed the best routine they've ever performed. I told Emma it was the power of the bun.

This is Emma's team lined up during the awards ceremony.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is so darling. I just feel happy when I'm with Ems.

Shannon said...

Way to kick some ballroom butt, Emsa!!!

Heidi said...

That's so awesome!!!! Congratulations Emma on doing so well. I bet she could kick butt on Dancing with the Stars.