Saturday, October 8, 2011

Yellowstone 2011

We spent some fun days in Yellowstone this week! I created a little slide show with pictures and videos from our trip. Here are the highlights:




  • We had a soak in the Boiling River, which is a hot river that dumps into the Gardner river and creates the perfect temperature for bathing. It's about a half mile walk from the parking lot, which is the only drawback.


  • We didn't see very many animals compared to what we expected, but we did see some wolves eating on an elk carcass. We had to see it with our binoculars to make out all the details, but it was pretty cool. We also saw a couple of bald eagles hovering around the same spot. We probably spent two hours watching that scene by the time we stopped to watch on our way one direction and then back again the other direction.


  • In one of the videos within the slide show you can hear some cow elk calling and the bull elk bugles back. So cool!


  • We enjoyed some good picnicking in the truck...we particularly enjoyed some smoked salmon mixed with cream cheese, served up on crackers.


  • We walked across the bridge in Gardiner to eat a good dinner in town and enjoyed staying in a super cheap motel with a great view of the Gardner river and bridge. (note: the town of Gardiner is spelled one way and the river is spelled another...interesting.)


  • We drove through the south entrance of Yellowstone on our way home. We drove all the way south, through The Grand Tetons National Park, where the leaves were breathtaking. In Jackson we always like stopping at the Yippi-I-O candy store.


  • Oh, and Emma had a cold the whole time we were gone and drove us crazy with her nose blowing.


  • Enjoy the video! I had fun making it.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOOO professional-looking! Love to see you all and extra great to see Erin in so many shots...am I your mom or what?

jenny said...

Great job!!! I am so impressed! Loved the poop shot, and closing with Emma's nose blowing was awesome! Wish we had been there...

Lorina LeFevre said...

It looks like you saw a lot of wildlife to me. I love Yellowstone, it's so beautiful and interesting. Always something to see. I think Emma is a champion nose blower, good for her. I miss you guys, hope I get to see you all soon.