Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Number 26's Wife

Landon has 25 kids in his class. They are each given a number so he can keep track of them. One of the fun ways he gives them to practice their writing skills is by allowing them to write notes/letters to one another by way of the classroom mailbox. He purchased a real mailbox, provides note paper and envelopes and lets the kids "mail" each other letters whenever they have free time. They are required to write the student's number on the outside of the envelope so the kid assigned to deliver mail can easily find the right student to give the mail to. When they want to write to Landon, he told them he would be number 26. Yesterday he received a letter addressed to "26's wife." He brought it home to me, I opened it and it had hearts all over it, but it wasn't signed by anyone. It sounds like it could have been from a boy who had a crush on me to the untrained observer, but I recognized immediately that it had to be from a girl. I happen to know that boys aren't into drawing hearts, but girls have recently mastered this skill and love to draw hearts (and stars, by the way). I replied to the note on a real notecard (from a box of real stationary) and sent it to school with Landon. Landon found the mystery writer of the first letter (it was a girl) and apparently she was beyond excited. She couldn't believe I wrote back and on real stationary, no less. Today I have received 2 more letters addressed to 26's wife. I have a feeling I've started something that has the potential to get out of control. I'll keep everyone posted...This is what the outside of todays' envelope looked like.

This is a very sweet note complete with a pig. "Mr LeFevre rocks! He is so nice. So are your douters (daughters). Who do they have for teachers? Well, gotta go."

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Awww, Erin has an admirer! Try not to break her heart, okay? She sounds like a sweet girl. What's with the pig though?

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a kitty cat! That is just adorable and shows how sweet kids are before they meet the world.

Shannon said...

Don't you love it?! So far I have had a little boy color and cut out a heart for me and a little girl made me a wreath of hearts. They are so sincere when they do things like that so I try and let them know that I appreciate it. Nothing beats having somebody call you "teacher" or "Mrs. Kimball." They don't quite understand the "Miss" part so I'm not too picky.

Lorina LeFevre said...

Aren't kids the greatest thing? That is so fun that one of the kids wanted to write and then figured out how to do it and get it to you. Pretty clever.

Lorina LeFevre said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.