Thursday, January 21, 2010

PG-13 Rated Post

Last month we wanted to know what the girls knew about male/female anatomy using the correct terminology. We had had a discussion at lunch with the other teachers about this subject. One of the teachers is teaching his 2 year old the correct words for everything and Landon said that we had done that when we taught our kids. I disagreed, remembering that we used slang for everything, so one night we asked the girls what the name of the boy part was.
Lauren: "balls?"
Us: "No, the real words!"
Lauren: "nuts?"
Us: "No!"
Lauren: "sack?"
Us: "No, the other part of the boy's potty."
Lauren: "There's another part?"
Us: "Yeah, the tail part. What's that called?"
Lauren: "Oh! The wiener?"
Us: "No, it starts with a p."
Emma: "I know! Pee-wee!"
Us: "Haven't you ever heard the word penis before?"
Girls: "Oh yeah!"
When we asked about the girl parts, they were both very confident with the word "vagina." The funny part of the conversation was that they were sincere and not even trying to be funny about it. Emma was embarrassed and just let Lauren talk until she thought she knew what the P-word was. I think it clearly proved that I remember our teaching method better than Landon.
Last night the girls were doing a Mad-Lib and Emma was doing the writing. She told Lauren to think of a funny word. Lauren didn't hesitate to say, "testicle." She uses that word regularly because I always giggle when she says it. We have the Sponge-Bob Squarepants version of Monopoly, so one of the properties is called "Tentacle Acres." We always call it "Testicle Acres." Every once in a while Lauren will just say, "Mom, remember testicle acres?" And I laugh every time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hysterical as one would expect from your family. Remember my teaching you older 3 kids about the apartment house with 3 apartments to explain female anatomy? Good times!

Heidi said...

We are teaching Chloe the proper names now. Lindsey isn't ready to hear it. If she did, she'd probably explain it all in show and tell in class at school. That's something I'm really not ready to hear from her teacher.

weasel said...

I was laughing really hard...O kept saying what what! O calls it the tail and the peepee...and the butt butt! It will be a while before I want to get into that! lol

Shannon said...

Try having to sit through a class where the kids are learning about the planets and the person teaching is very adamant about pronouncing a certain planet as "your-anus" (it was not me!). The joys of education.

christensen clan said...

Can I send Ketti over?