Monday, October 25, 2010

Birthday and a New Bed!

I forgot to mention what we did for my birthday. It was parent/teacher conference day on my actual birthday, so Landon was really tired and difficult to be around that evening. Since we didn't have school on Friday, we celebrated the day of my birth on the 22nd. We went to Idaho Falls and did some shopping, and went to Lucy's Pizzeria. I really love pizza!
We also bought a new bed on Friday! We've needed a new bed for years, but we kept putting it off. We decided to combine our birthday money and put it toward the cost of a new mattress and then make up the rest with student loan money. The last time we had a new mattress was May 1998, so I guess it was time. (That mattress had been through 9 moves, 2 babies peeing, throwing up, and nursing, lots of jumping and gymnastics moves, and 2 large adults tossing and turning night after night. It had a big ridge in the middle and the pillow top and pillow bottom were flat as a pancake.)
I had my family buy Ticket to Ride for my birthday, so we've been playing that all weekend. It's pretty fun. We'll bring it to Las Vegas at Christmas and to Vancouver next summer.

Emma made me a sweet card for my birthday, Landon gave me a People magazine and some candy bars, and Lauren made me breakfast in bed this morning because she forgot to do something for my birthday. She woke up with her alarm at 6:40 a.m. (a big sacrifice for my sleep-loving baby) and made me a toasted bagel with cream cheese, a banana, some yogurt and a glass of water. She waited downstairs until Landon told her I was awake (7:04 a.m.) and then she brought up my breakfast on a tray. She is such a good kid.

Last weekend Landon went to DI and bought me a reading lamp for next to the bed and 2 books he thought I'd like. (The Thornbirds--I've always LOVED that book, and The Lure of the Law--a book about why people are attracted to the law and becoming a lawyer. He knows that's a secret desire of mine that will probably never be realized.) It was really thoughtful and very sweet. He kept saying Happy Birthday because he wanted to build up credit with me because he knew that parent/teacher conferences were on my birthday.

4 comments:

jenny said...

Our bed is a hand-me-down. It was 20 years old when we got it. It is so old that they didn't even have pillow tops when it was made. We really need a new one too... who knows when and if we will ever get one...

weasel said...

We got your old mattress, it was with us almost two years...plus however long I used it at your house too! I am so jealous - we need a new one so badly too! I think my headaches would let up a bit if I had a good quality bed!!!

Lorina LeFevre said...

I bet you feel like your sleeping on air! I'm glad you had a good birthday. ps... I think you would be a fantastic lawyer!

Shannon said...

I love "Thornbirds," too. Although, Father Ralph is a bad priest. Nice that you got a bed--broke down and bought a mattress and box springs when Mom was here. First time I have had a bed since I lived in Vancouver.