Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New Bread Recipe

I just made some seriously tasty bread. I'm going to call it "Oregon Bread," because it has hazelnuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, quinoa, millet and whole wheat (hazelnuts scream "Oregon", to me). And I got the recipe from Alan Muench, who lives in McMinnville, Oregon. It was either going to be called Oregon Bread or Colon Blow Bread, because of the digestive benefits. Here was the process, in case you're interested:
First, 4 cups of whole wheat bread flour, 1 cup of gluten flour, water, milk, butter, yeast, salt and brown sugar (I let it "sponge" for about 10 minutes to really activate that yeast):
Then all the nuts and grains, with 2 more cups of whole wheat bread flour:
Then almost 8 cups of white flour, and about 10 minutes of kneading:Then I let it rise for 90 minutes while I took Emma to school, took a shower, etc.:This is what it looked like after 90 minutes (I LOVE that huge silver bowl. Works great for this huge recipe):I shaped 6 large loaves of bread and let them rise for about 45 minutes:This is what they looked like when I put them in the oven. At this point I realized I had one runt; I guess I didn't divide them exactly evenly, but that's OK (bottom left corner). They all just barely fit in the oven on the top rack.This is what they looked like when they were done cooking, after 45 minutes. I experimented with rubbing butter over 3 loaves to see which crust I like better (with or without butter):It turned out delicious! The texture is light and soft, not heavy like most whole wheat breads. I think it was the gluten flour and the amount of white flour I added. I calculated the recipe online to see what the nutritional value is and this bread is very high in protein, for a bread. Maybe we've found our Farmer's Market idea!!

5 comments:

Jones Family said...

Erin, that is awesome! They look amazing.

Lorina LeFevre said...

That looks so good and it has extra protein, that's what I need. Why can't you live at least 6 hours closer??!!

jenny said...

It is the best bread ever. I really want to get the recipe... I mean, I am still dreaming of it...

Heidi said...

Where the heck did you get that big beautiful silver bowl? Dang, that bread looks awesome!

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.