Saturday, March 24, 2012

Update

Landon left Wednesday morning at 4:00 a.m. for his trip to Philadelphia for an education leadership conference. Eight district employees went, a teacher from the jr. high--a speech teacher, not LDS, which is always intriguing around here--six administrators including the superintendent--against whom I have a vendetta, and then our hero, Landon. Landon was quite apprehensive about going, since he would really like to be hired in our district and knew he would have to be "on his game" for 6 exhausting days, plus he didn't think he had much in common with these guys and felt like he'd be uncomfortable and wouldn't have much to talk about with them.
Well, it's day 4 and he's had an unbelievable, awesome, fun, life-altering trip so far! They stayed the first 2 nights at one of the principal's sister's house in New Jersey while they went sightseeing in Philadelphia and New York City. Landon saw Independence Hall, Constitution Hall, the Liberty Bell, the first paved street in the USA (cobblestones), ate a genuine Philly cheesesteak and some good pizza, went to an art museum, saw the Rocky statue, and walked along the Delaware river. In NYC he visited the World Trade Center memorial, Times Square, ate at Stardust, and saw the Broadway play, "Wicked." He got to his hotel last night around 2:30 a.m. in Philadelphia and now the actual conference begins. He's pretty tired, but he sounds really happy and mentioned how significant it was for him to visit the early American historical sights. He said he could "feel the spirit" when he saw some of those things . Landon's probably one of the most patriotic people I know, so this didn't surprise me.
Anyway, I thought I'd share an update for those family members who are interested in what Landon's been doing. He texts me short one-liners from wherever he is and tells me what he's doing. It's been so fun to get regular updates throughout the day. I think we've only talked to him on the phone a couple of times for about 5 minutes. He's just been so busy having fun, which he really deserves!!
The girls and I are staying busy and missing dad like crazy. We went out to Wingers for dinner last night and then went to see The Enchanted April, which is a play based on a book I recently read for my book group. My friend Jenny's husband Justin directed the play and Jenny was the dialect coach for the actors (they had to speak British English the whole time). We got home around 10:00 p.m. last night, but the girls really had fun, and we all enjoyed the play. It was beautifully done. Today I'm actually taking both girls to The Hunger Games! It's PG-13, but Lauren said she wanted to see it so I'm letting her. I might have to deal with a scaredy-cat during the movie and give her tokens for the arcade until it's over, but she insists she can handle it. This will only be Lauren's second PG-13 movie (we let them watch The Help with us), and Emma's third (I watched Twilight with her a couple weeks ago--only the first one. She's not allowed to see any more!).
I'm taking Emma to the YW broadcast tonight and Lauren's going to a friend's house. We're trying to be busy girls, but I'm mentally counting down the hours until Landon's home. I feel unsettled and untethered when I don't know exactly where he is. We're so used to knowing every detail of each other's days that this very trivial separation is not fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful that Landon is getting to see such meaningful things! You girls are certainly having a great time as well. Hope time flies until the big guy is home safely.

Lorina LeFevre said...

It all sounds great!! I'm glad your keeping busy and Landon will be home before you know it. I'm majorly jealous of all the cool things Landon saw and did. Maybe someday!