Monday, July 30, 2012

Girls Camp



Girls camp came and went, and I couldn't be more relieved.  I've been dreading it since January when I officially found out I was pregnant.  I successfully lowered everyone's expectations for my ability to contribute meaningfully, so I just did whatever I was told when I got there.  As stake leaders, we went up a day earlier than the girls, arriving Monday and leaving Friday.  Landon was asked to be the cook for the stake leaders, so the two of us planned and prepared all the meals for everyone.  A friend of mine on the camp committee had a camping trailer, so she let Landon and me use that rather than sleeping in the stake cabin.  We hooked it up to a power source, so we had air conditioning!  It was a record-breaking hot week, so the trailer served as a "sick room" for leaders and girls suffering from heat exhaustion and dehydration, in addition to our personal living space.  Landon had gotten a chest cold just before camp, and I caught it on the 2nd day up there.  We hacked and coughed all day and night the whole week.  I had given Lauren my camera to use on her trip to Las Vegas so I didn't take any pictures.  Emma was supposed to take pictures with her camera, but for some reason didn't take any.
The week was more fun than I expected, but the pregnancy factor, being sick, being hot, sweaty, dirty and tired really contributed to exhaustion by the time we got home.  It's been about 10 days since we returned and I'm just now getting back my energy.  (Thus the long break between blog posts!)  I'm excited that Lauren gets to go to camp next year with Emma.  Emma had the time of her life at camp and it seemed like a great transition for her to sleep away from us in her own separate cabin, yet we were still accessible.  I think by next year she'll be over her issues and comfortable enough to spend a week away without us.  (Tylenol PM is a great invention!) 
This is Emma's scripture bag.  We started a new tradition this year with "pin trading" at camp.  Each ward created their own ward pin and the stake created lots of different pins to add to the trading.  The girls were able to mingle and make new friendships by trading pins with each other.  Each girl also gets their own scripture bag containing a new Book of Mormon that they use each year at camp.  They carry these bags around everywhere and have opportunities to stop and read for a few minutes throughout the day. 
Emma is on the right in the purple shirt.  Each ward chose something from nature to represent them at camp.  Our ward chose "peacocks."  This was their skit.  It was really cute.  The stake was "bees" and we had a skit where we also wore tu-tus.  Super happy no one has a picture of that.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Holy crud. That means Chloe will be going to camp next year too. Oh, I don't like that thought. Those scripture bags are adorable and it's great to hear Emma had such a good time.

Shannon said...

So glad that Emma likes camp. I hated it with a passion but it was more because of the other girls. Camping is fun.