Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

We had a really low-key weekend. We did some shopping on Saturday in Idaho Falls, went to Church yesterday, then today we went for an incredibly fun drive and hike near the continental divide.
When we were at Church, I saw some huge zucchini squash in the foyer on the floor with a sign that said, "free zucchini squash." The girls and I were really excited so we grabbed a 10 pounder and stashed it in the car. Landon had to stay late, so we took the zucchini home and promptly made zucchini bread with lots of big walnuts in it, because we're a nut-loving family.
Here's a before and after shot (I used the Diet Pepsi can for perspective):




We still have about 9 pounds of zucchini left. Sunday night we watched The Sound of Music (the girls had never seen it and it was on TV) and ate spaghetti with fresh-out-of-the-oven white bread and zucchini bread for dessert all in front of the TV. Lots of carbs, but very enjoyable.

This morning we decided to drive about 50 miles north to a trail head called Aldous Lake just outside of Kilgore, ID. We brought a bucket of chicken, zucchini bread and some oranges and went on a 2.6 mile round trip hike to Aldous Lake. The weather was perfect for us! When we started the hike it was lightly raining, then turned to light hail, then back to rain. We saw tons of berries (we think they're wild raspberries). After some fun at the lake (and some zucchini bread), we headed back and picked as many raspberries as we could find. The girls LOVED picking berries. At one point a little newlywed couple passed us (the only people we saw the whole time) and asked us what kind of berries we were picking. Well, I didn't notice them coming and was intently concentrating on picking my berries. When I heard them, I looked up, saw them about 10 feet in front of me and yelled "shit!" right at them, because I was so startled. They kept walking.
It really was a beautiful hike. It was amazingly close to a Northwest kind of hike, with mossy trees everywhere, cool weather with light rain, hearing a rushing creek in the distance, and ending up at a little lake.After the hike we drove on a dirt road to Island Park and came home on highway 20. We stopped at Big Juds in Ashton for dinner and ate burgers, fries and onion rings. Yummy! By the way, Landon has lost 27 pounds by now, and I've lost 43 since June 2007. Slow and steady!
When we were in Idaho Falls on Saturday we spent some time browsing in Barnes and Noble. We bought a book called The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. We are loving this book! It's a kids' book, so I've been reading it out loud through the weekend. We're only 100 pages into it and it's a 450 page book, but it's so good so far! We highly recommend it to anyone who has kids or likes kids' books.


These were the berries we picked. We think they're raspberries. Landon getting Emma's poncho on so she didn't get wet. We haven't gotten her a coat yet for fall or winter. Poor kid.This is the beginning of the trail.1.3 miles later, we made it to the lake!The girls enjoyed messing around in the water.Landon and me looking old (in my opinion).Isn't Lauren so cute?This is the rock we ate our zucchini bread on.This is what the berries looked like as soon as I washed them. They were pretty fragile.



This mouse was literally the only wildlife we encountered, not counting birds--which I don't, because I hate birds.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Please tell me Landon didn't take out his rifle and blow the mouse's brains out right after you took the picture. I'm sure if he did you used every part of the mouse for some recipe; have to be handy in Idaho and Utah:)

Heidi said...

What a fun weekend you had! I'm jealous you guys are so...outdoorsy. We like to look at the outdoors from the car mostly. lol

Erin said...

Shannon, he wouldn't shoot a mouse with a rifle. He had his pistol with him.

Anonymous said...

I am so surprised to see the scenery--I thought it would be more deserty so close to your house. The pictures are very nice. The one of Landon with Lauren was especially cute of him. The girls are lucky to have such active and fun loving adventures. The berries make me want to plant some out back.. I've been loving my blackberries this year.

weasel said...

So I looked at the pics first...I can totally tell you are losing weight...that pic of you and Landon your face is getting skinnier! And Landon doesn't shoot mice silly, he puts them in a bag and smashes them w a hammer...or so I have been told! wink wink, nudge nudge! I really like the pic of Lauren and Landon too! Sounds like a fun hike, Nase absolutely hates hikes, apparently he had a bad experience on the mission, or we'd go on them all the time!

Shannon said...

I always knew Landon was handy with animals. Once I had to kill a bird that one of the cats had hurt but hadn't managed to quite kill--one quick smack with the shovel and then I had to scoop it up and dispose of it. I guess I don't have the highly developed predatory instincts that Landon and the rest of you seem to have.