Monday, December 15, 2008

Snow in Rexburg

This is the front of our building. Our neighbor, Brook, likes to build stuff. She built the manger thing and all the decorations are hers. It makes it so we don't have to do anything except display our wreath.

We've had a lot of snow and really cold temperatures the past several days. Tonight we went to the Christensen's house for chili and cornbread then drove out to Burton to see a live, outdoor nativity play. This family out in the country (with the help of many volunteers) puts on a live play every Christmas complete with a donkey that Mary rides in on, sheep and goats. There are about 30 kids involved and cute costumes. There was hay bale seating for the audience and we were invited to sing along with the performers in a few songs during the performance. The family served homemade doughnuts and hot chocolate after the play. This family has a son with Down's Syndrome and I think he's the reason they do it every year. He got to be a shepherd and led a sheep in to visit Mary, Joseph and Jesus.

Anyway, during the 10 minute performance the snow was just coming down hard and fast. Ketti got a gushing bloody nose just before we arrived, so she wasn't very happy, and the family insisted that we sit down on the snow covered hay bales while we watched. All of us still have frozen butt cheeks. Despite all that, it was really a touching experience and I think we'll look back on it and be glad we went. (I wish I would have brought my camera.)

3 comments:

weasel said...

Remember when...I don't remember which kid...but said "I'm Mary" and put a scarf over her head! Now O does it - it's really funny, but she doesn't know how to say Mary really well...so even funnier! That sounds neat! We haven't gotten too much snow yet!

Shannon said...

Sounds like fun but cold.

Anonymous said...

Do any of you remember our Christmas dress up and program with Aunt Bunny's family at Nanny's? I have so many treasured memories of little things we've done around the holidays.