Saturday, September 12, 2009

Our School Routine

No fun pictures, but I felt like I needed to make a current blog post.
Now that school has been in session for a few weeks, we're into our new routines. It's been busy and every day is a little different. When I sub, it can get complicated because the girls each go to school at different times. Emma's school starts at 9:00am and Lauren's school starts at 8:15am, so of course they get out at different times too. Sometimes Landon has to take Emma with him at 7:30am and she'll catch the middle school bus at his school, if I have to sub for an elementary school job that starts early (because I won't be at home when she has to leave in the morning). Other times, Landon has to leave school right when the kids leave so he can hurry home and be there when Lauren gets home and take her back to his school to work until I am done with a later sub job. It's not ideal, but we figure we can all work together so that I have a job that allows me to be at home when the girls aren't in school. Somehow over the years we've always been able to figure out creative ways to make ends meet so Mom's home when the girls are.
I subbed 3 of the 4 days this week. Tuesday I subbed for the computer teacher at the Middle School. It was pretty awful. 7th graders are complete asses! One kid unplugged several monitors on his way out of the room and I didn't figure it out for 2 hours. I thought there was something wrong with those computers so I had to move kids all over the room so everyone had access to one. Another kid was acting out so bad that I finally asked him if he forgot to take his medication that day (probably not a legal question for a real teacher to ask). I'd take a room full of 1st graders over 7th graders any day. Wednesday was also pretty bad. I had a classroom of 4th graders at Burton (Lauren's school) and I ended up sending one to the principal's office. Thursday I had the same class of 4th graders, but came armed with candy for the good kids. All of a sudden I had a classroom of good kids. I'll never attempt a sub job without a bagful of candy again.
Lauren gets home around 2:40pm everyday, never has homework and just plays outside with the neighbor kids everyday after school. Emma gets home around 4:00pm every day and always has plenty of homework. We make the kids get in bed by 7:30pm every night, so there's not a lot of time for extra events during the week.
Landon has a class in Idaho Falls every Monday, 7:00-10:00pm, and in Rexburg every Thursday, 5:00-8:00pm. Thankfully, next semester he begins his internship and will be all done with regular classes. He's really looking forward to that.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

The family schedule sounds brutal.