So you start the bread with a "biga" or sourdough starter...it's just flour, yeast and water that's sat on the counter for 8-24 hours,
then you put it in a mixer bowl with the remaining ingredients, more flour, more yeast, more water, salt and a little milk. You mix it for 6 minutes with a paddle, then attach a hook and mix it for 10 minutes until it gets shiny, sticky and clings to itself:
You let it rise for 2 hours, folding it in on itself 2 different times during the last hour.
Then you dump it out on a floured counter, divide it in 2, gently shape each half with floured fingers into a 12 X 6 inch rectangle. Then you fold the rectangle into thirds and allow it to rise 30 minutes on parchment paper. (This is a double batch, so there's 4 loaves.)
Cute little bubbles start to form on the top of the loaves as it rises. That's a good sign.
You preheat the oven to 450 degrees, mist the loaves with water, then slide the loaves onto a pre-heated pizza stone. Mist the loaves twice more during the first 5 minutes, then allow the loaves to cook for a total of about 22 minutes.
The loaves should look kind of like this when they're done.
The bread should have lots of little holes and a chewy texture. I guess it's good for sandwiches...we haven't had it last long enough for a sandwich yet.

then you put it in a mixer bowl with the remaining ingredients, more flour, more yeast, more water, salt and a little milk. You mix it for 6 minutes with a paddle, then attach a hook and mix it for 10 minutes until it gets shiny, sticky and clings to itself:
You let it rise for 2 hours, folding it in on itself 2 different times during the last hour.
Then you dump it out on a floured counter, divide it in 2, gently shape each half with floured fingers into a 12 X 6 inch rectangle. Then you fold the rectangle into thirds and allow it to rise 30 minutes on parchment paper. (This is a double batch, so there's 4 loaves.)
Cute little bubbles start to form on the top of the loaves as it rises. That's a good sign.
You preheat the oven to 450 degrees, mist the loaves with water, then slide the loaves onto a pre-heated pizza stone. Mist the loaves twice more during the first 5 minutes, then allow the loaves to cook for a total of about 22 minutes.
The loaves should look kind of like this when they're done.
The bread should have lots of little holes and a chewy texture. I guess it's good for sandwiches...we haven't had it last long enough for a sandwich yet. 
6 comments:
HOLY CRAP!!! What a long ass process! I got distracted after the 8-24 hour part...no way I could handle making that bread!~ Looks really good though!!!
Oh, my heck...I want to buy a plane ticket just so I can come back and eat your food.
PBS is very proud of you about now. Looks sooo good.
Awesome blog! Thanks for inviting me... I am a little disappointed I did not get to try the bread though. I call first slice on the next loaf you bake!!!
The bread looks really good. You getting to be fancy artist in bread making. Good for you!!
Best bread EVER!!!! I am going to try my hand at it... wish me luck.
Post a Comment