Saturday, May 8, 2010

The LeFevre Garden

So Landon's buddy and fellow 3rd grade teacher, Kevin, grew up on the hill by the water tower and his mom allows him to use the entire garden space for his little family. Well, Kevin will be spending most of the summer in Arizona with his wife's family, so in exchange for us watering the garden, we can use a good size chunk of the garden for our own food. (Kevin's mom and stepdad are gone much of the summer, too.) We're going to have access to the plum tree that we made that yummy plum jam from 2 years ago, plus whatever we can grow. Emma is beside herself with excitement, Landon is fairly enthusiastic, Lauren can take it or leave it and I am going along for the ride.
Today Kevin rototilled the garden and we planted our seeds. This is Emma and Landon getting busy with some rakes. This is where I found Lauren during the raking process:We (and by "we" I mean Emma and Lauren) planted 4 rows of corn, 2 rows of carrots, a row of radishes, 2 rows of peas, a mound of summer squash, and a row of lettuce. In a couple of weeks we're going to plant some tomato starts and some onions. Landon and Kevin supervised and educated during the planting process, while I handed out the seeds, marveled at how the seeds looked just like the actual food, and completely avoided touching any dirt. Here's a classic gardening butt shot, followed by the front shot:

Here's the finished garden, complete with a little stick "fence" to keep Kevin's kids and other family members out of our area. You can see the little green plants in our garden...those are little rhubarb bushes Kevin donated for our use. Landon hates rhubarb, but I'm going to make it a mission to find some way for him to like it.

The ladies treated themselves to pedicures when we got home.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Your garden looks huge...I bet your food is going to be very tasty. I don't like to get dirt under my fingernails so you sound like my kind of planter.

Lorina LeFevre said...

Just wait until you have some growth-then you will all be very excited. You all have a very yummy summer in store. Nothing tastes better than fresh produce.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Erin. I want to buy a gardner someday.

weasel said...

UM...strawberry rhubarb pie...good!

jenny said...

Oh, my, Gosh... WE LOVE RHUBARB!!! If you need someone to sell it to, we will buy it from you! I have been looking for some to buy all over!!! I wanna go to your garden sometime. I will need some tips for when I become a big gardener. (Like that will ever happen.)