In spite of our neglect, we still harvested quite a bit of food from our garden this year. Carrots don't seem affected by weeds, but onions really suffer. Remember that we planted-like-100 onion starts? Well, they didn't grow very big if they even grew at all. We pulled up what we could find amongst the weeds and the biggest onion was about 2 inches in diameter. The carrots on the other hand, were plentiful and very chunky. We sliced and canned about 7 quarts, and we have a big bag left for shredding and freezing. I'm going to use the shredded carrots for carrot cake, carrot bread, and recipes that call for shredded carrots.

We also harvested a handful of tomatoes, which we were happy about. I can't think of a vegetable that I'd rather eat right off the vine more than a tomato (even though it's a fruit). Yummy! These tomatoes are some kind of variety that are orange when ripe.

Our corn stalks are still growing, even though the weeds are literally as tall as the corn stalks. We've seen about 10 ears that aren't quite ready to pick, plus we still have some tomatoes that might ripen.
3 comments:
Yea, gardens!!!
I love me some home-made tomatoes.
The carrots look yummy. Nobody can say, LeFevre's can't bottle something.
Post a Comment