Monday, May 2, 2011

Cookout With The Christensen's

We had our first 2011 cook-out Saturday night! The weather was pretty cool (upper 40's), but it was sunny, so we went for it. I happened to talk to Morris Saturday to ask about where Landon should get materials for Emma's planter box (see the following post), and we both agreed it seemed like a great day to have a fire and burn stuff, so we set up a weenie-roast for that evening.The Christensens cooked foil dinners and we roasted bratwurst. Heidi had brought frozen fruit pops for dessert, and we had brought peeps and graham crackers for Peeps S'mores, so we had 2 desserts. The big highlight of the evening was spotting two female moose run past our campsite toward the river. When they first showed up, they stopped and looked at us long enough that we all stood up and started backing away, in case they wanted to run our direction. Later, something spooked them at the river and they ran back the way they came, so we saw them twice. In addition, we saw a huge dead porcupine, saw hawks and eagles, a cottontail rabbit, a tiny mouse near our campfire and heard tons of coyotes howling nearby.Emma used the camera to take lots of random pictures of the kids playing (they took off to explore right when we arrived, but the moose later appeared right near where the kids had been playing, so maybe we'll keep them a little closer next time!!). Ketti and Lauren were attempting to bring "seaweed" back to the fire to burn, and Jens was finding the biggest roasting stick he could in order to roast his Peeps.

2 comments:

Lorina LeFevre said...

The last picture was gorgeous. All your little outings remind me of my childhood. ahh...such sweet memories!!

weasel said...

Holy crap - you've done a lot of posts that I haven't seen! I havent' been on blog for weeks! It's killing me, but I just don't find the time lately...Oliviana is really needy when I'm not around much. Those rolls look heavenly! Love Emma's new hobby, I suck at growing stuff - Nana has a plant outside from preschool - I'm sure I'll kill it, not even touching it! We have chicks at Cal-ranch too - Oliviana calls them all ducks, but strangely enough only likes the turkey!