Saturday, April 28, 2012

Orange Marmalade!

My friend Jenny had been given 2 boxes of oranges, so she invited me over to make orange marmalade with her.  It's a 2-day process, so we each sliced 8 oranges, 4 lemons, added 16 cups of sugar and 16 cups of water and 2 vanilla beans to our pots, brought them to a boil and then let them sit overnight.  (I brought mine home after it had boiled and cooled enough to transport.)  Today I simmered it 2 hours, boiled it hard for over an hour, then poured it into jars and processed about 19 jelly jars of orange marmalade.  I love how it turned out!  Kind of bitter and sweet at the same time.  The vanilla beans added tiny little black flecks throughout.  Really yummy.





1 comment:

jenny said...

It was really good on the pork roast that I made last night. It made this sweet kind of crust on the top that was just delicious!