Friday, August 29, 2008

Back To School Night

I made chocolate chip cookies for Landon's class last year for Back to School Night, and they were quite a hit. He had several requests for the recipe. He asked me to make them again this year, so yesterday I made 150 cookies. Last night when I was leaving his classroom, I found the mildly retarded custodian standing outside the classroom waiting for me. He was clutching a handful of rice crispy treats and asked me if I would trade 3 cookies for 3 rice crispy treats. I went back in the classroom and got him his cookies. (I gave the rice crispy treats to Emma and Lauren!) When I tried to leave again, a lady was standing outside waiting for me. She told me another teacher down the hall had dared her to come ask me for a cookie. The teacher had had one last year and told the lady that they were really good and wanted one. I went and got her 3 cookies too. Landon came home and told me they had all been eaten, and he had several requests for the recipe again. This recipe is the one I put in the first edition Cookin' Fevre cookbook.
One of Landon's students has Asperger's Syndrome, which is a mild form of autism. Well, this kid is really funny (to me), but causes a lot of stress for Landon. The other day he told Landon, "Mr. LeFevre, I want you to leave right now and I'm going to start counting to 5." Fun times for Mr. LeFevre.
By the way, I made a good dinner last night! I used the recipe Kristen posted on her blog. It is a Beef/Broccoli Calzone. My turned out to be a Turkey/Spinach/Peas Calzone. It was tasty. Everyone loved it except for Lauren who said it was disgusting and spent dinnertime crying and screaming like a two-year old in her bedroom. Here's the recipe:
Beef & Broccoli Calzone:
1 lb. Ground beef, browned until crumbly and drained
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
½ c. chopped onion
¾ c. sour cream
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Garlic powder
½ tsp. Italian seasoning
1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
To FREEZE: Combine ground beef with other ingredients (except bread dough) in a bowl. Roll our bread dough to a 9”x13” rectangle. Spoon filling onto one side of the dough, leaving a border of dough on three sides. Fold over bare side of dough and pinch ends together. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
To COOK: Allow to rise, but not double. Cook 20-30 minutes in a 350 degree oven until golden. Slice and serve.

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Asperger's syndrome is pretty common now; there were a few kids at AHAS that had it including two who liked to come to quilting class. They both did fine if given enough individual attention and guided direction but I know that you can't always do that if you are the only teacher in the room. What other kinds of challenges does Landon experience? I'm all ears because whatever I learn I am going to try and use it to help me while I am student teaching.

weasel said...

Would you not tell Lauren that was my recipe, I would like to remain the favorite aunt!

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of all you girls for trying new things and doing so well in the homemaking department. Dad can only dream.

Erin said...

Kristen-that comment is pretty bold considering I count 8 aunts who read this blog.

Shannon said...

Yeah, Kristen--but I do believe I have an advantage with Chloe and Lindsey. If you ask Chloe who she loves she will say "Shannon" every time. If you don't believe me, call her.:)

Heidi said...

If you want a good recipe, go to the Pioneer Woman's website and go to the cooking section. I've gained many new recipes out of it including her sheet cake and apple dumplings. I will be the favorite aunt then. I'm going to look up your cookie recipe now. I need some new inspiration.

weasel said...

I know I am Emma's favorite!!!! Lauren still throws me....but I know she likes Nase! And my baby is the most entertaining!

Shannon said...

The baby may be entertaining but I have a dog and I know that Chloe, Lindsey and Lauren love my dog. I don't know if Emma is so crazy about him but 3 is still pretty good.

newbigdogjason said...

Chloe is get's a little something on the side for saying that.
(I think) :-0 did I say that!