Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First Day of School

Today the girls started school at Kennedy with their dad. I took them to meet their teachers and find their desks, then picked them up after school. Tomorrow they'll start riding the bus to and from school everyday. Evidently I have a conditioned response to choke up and cry on my way out the door of the school every year on this day. Unfortunately Landon was standing there holding the door open for the little kids to come in when I walked out the door. I got a nice "eye roll" on my way to the car.
Today I started working at the Housing office 8:00am to 2:00pm while one of the full time employees is on bed rest and maternity leave. She actually was released to come back to work this week after being on bed rest for 2 weeks, so she is training me and I'm helping out with special projects. It was a busy, tiring day for all of us.
Lauren said her teacher is kind of strict (perfect for Lauren) and Emma's teacher is funny and nice. They both found new friends and got back into the school groove. Lauren's favorite part of the day was taking a test, and Emma's favorite part of the day was winning a tootsie roll for not getting her name written on the board.
Landon says he has a good class this year. 24 kids, 14 are girls, 2 IEPs (that's code for "special" kids). I made an appearance at the end of the day and met everyone. I'm always amazed that Landon has worked so hard in life to get to supervise 24 little kids all day. That's my worst nightmare, but lucky for us he loves it and is really good at it.

Lauren opted for cut-off shorts on her first day of school. She says she looks really good in them...I'm just glad she has a healthy self esteem.
Emma wanted to be girly and pretty on her first day of 4th grade. She looked really cute.
Mr. LeFevre wanted to look red, blue and bald on his first day of 3rd grade. Mission accomplished.
Pictured above: cutest girls at Kennedy Elementary.

4 comments:

weasel said...

This was a funny one...the first thing I read, because I look at the pictures first then go back and read, is the caption for Landon! Too funny! And Lauren, she cracks me up! I think I agree w Emma, my favorite part would be the tootsie roll too!

Shannon said...

Wow--they sure start school early. The kids here in Vancouver won't be going back to class until the day after Labor Day. All of the pictures were cute but I especially like the caption for Landon's.

What kind of special needs do the 2 IEP kids have? A week from Tuesday and I get to be in the classroom for the whole week because they want us to meet the kids at the beginning of the year with our mentor teacher.

Anonymous said...

Where are the pix of Mom's first day back at school? The fam looks great and I'm sure it feels good to be back into a routine. I figured out Erin started a blog so she wouldn't have to call her mom so often...I think I'll start one--this is the laundry room before and after wash day, this is dad sleeping. It's a laugh a minute for old people.

Heidi said...

Great pictures for everybody! I'm glad everybody was happy with their classes. :)