Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Regular Routine

When I went to wake up Lauren this morning, this is what I found.
I think the big bump is her legs, but she was sound asleep under the covers like that. She has been so tired lately! As soon as she walks home from the bus stop she begs to go play with her friends outside. Then at about 5:00pm, I make her come inside for dinner, homework, bath and bed. By bedtime (7:30pm), she is whining and crying because she is so tired. Tonight our goal is 7:00pm bedtime.
Emma comes home really tired, but her friends don't live in our townhouse community, so she tends to spend her after school time on Webkinz World (website), watching TV, talking on the phone to her friends, doing homework, reading or doing some kind of project. She tends to be happy to go to bed, happy to wake up and happy to do whatever we ask her to do. I should start calling them Yin and Yang.
This week I worked Monday, but now I don't have to work until next Thursday (Fall check in day). Today I went for a 3 mile walk along a road bordering potato fields on one side, wheat on the other, the very tippy tops (the "teats") of the Tetons ahead of me, while listening to Sheryl Crowe, REM, and Barenaked Ladies. I'll spend today cleaning, cooking and running errands. I love being home, free to do whatever I want.
Landon starts his graduate classes tonight in Idaho Falls. He'll be gone Wednesday and Thursday nights until 9 or 10 this semester.
Our ward was split and we were assigned a brand new ward (The Willowbrook Ward) a couple weeks ago. It's kind of fun to have a ward that's beginning from scratch. We both got new callings this past week. Landon is the membership clerk and I'm a RS teacher. We feel pretty lucky to have callings don't take much time or need to go to regular meetings.

Yesterday I bought two big bags of tree ripened peaches from a farmer who sells them out of the back of his truck down by the freeway. He had both donut peaches and the regular kind. They tasted like candy! They were so ripe and juicy. The farmer was quite a character! He told me he has made $10,000 selling his peaches this year, and that he hasn't had anything to do with the IRS since 1974. He was wearing striped overalls (like a train conductor) with a crazy patterned shirt underneath. The peaches were incredible.

7 comments:

weasel said...

Hello - how can you not like something that starts w the word...donut! Of course they were good! Our ward is rumored to be split real soon too. It's weird, they made it as a branch 2 1/2 years ago and we were there when it started. I don't really like the section of the ward we'll be and the fact that I just got in to a calling w a presidency I really like...but what are you going to do! Emma has always just been happy and content, but she sure isn't related to me if she enjoys waking up...I"m more like Lauren on that one! What I wouldn't give for a day by myself cleaning and doing laundry and walking! SOunds like a nice walk! POSER or posar...something, for the long comment!

Anonymous said...

Man, my mouth is watering over the peaches.
If I found a lump like that in my kid's bed I would have thought one of them had escaped out the window and left a pillow to fool me.
Hope your work hours continue to be to your liking.. Are you a master at Guitar Hero yet with all your down time?

Heidi said...

Lindsey sleeps really funky some days. I'm going to try and get pictures sometime. Nice peaches, now you have me craving peach cobbler and other peachy dishes.

Shannon said...

I love fresh peaches when they are nice and juicy or a good peach crisp. As for sleep, I love to go to sleep and hate to get up because it usually means another long day. I do absolutely LOVE taking a nap on Sunday afternoons--it's the best!

weasel said...

POZER!

Erin said...

Kristen-try POZOR. That means "look out" in Czech.

Kris said...

OMG, i just canned 48qts. last night! Those look yummy 4 sure, but I'm a little sick of peaches right now.
(i know, canning me? whats next, blogging?)