Saturday, September 19, 2009

Fun Day

We had fun today! We drove about 60 miles north to a town called Spencer. It has 2 working opal mines. We were able to get a few rocks with traces of opal in them as "free samples." After seeing some opals, we went to Stoddard Creek campground and had a picnic.
This is Spencer, Idaho. There's a gas station, a cafe and a couple of gift stores that sell opal rocks and jewelry. If we had worn close-toed shoes, we could have pounded on rocks and looked for opal traces in a big rock pile. We all had flip flops or sandals on, so no pounding today.

We had a very simple picnic today--ham sandwiches, Doritoes, green olives and diet Pepsi, plus candy corn and Hershey's miniatures in the truck. The video shows Lauren eating a green olive for a dollar. We couldn't convince Emma to eat one no matter how much we offered her. (Fear Factor--LeFevre style.)

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Lauren is a brave girl--don't know that I would have eaten the olive.

P.S. Is Landon losing weight? He seems skinnier.

Heidi said...

I had to pay Chloe a $1 to try out salmon. It looks like you had a lot of fun. I love opals, some day I'm gonna buy a nice big one.

weasel said...

I remember the fear factor days at the LeFevre household...and the way you used to say it...good times!

Anonymous said...

I saw the mustard and olives on the table and knew you had a great picnic. I miss being with you for drive and picnic. Fun times.