I have been looking for a book club to join since we moved away from Duvall, WA 8 years ago. There have been plenty of opportunities to join RS book club groups, but I have been looking for a group of women who enjoy reading all kinds of books and who like to discuss them in a way that is halfway intelligent. I'm generally not a fan of the Mormon novels I've come across so far in my life, so I've been looking for women who are open to a greater variety of reading material. A lady moved into our ward who belongs to a book group consisting of women who enjoy reading and discussing all kinds of books. I went to my first meeting last night and I came home so excited! I didn't realize how much I censor myself so I don't offend the general population of Rexburg when I speak. I was able to say what I thought, using whatever language I wanted and felt like I fit in with these women just fine. It was incredibly liberating. We didn't just talk about the book, which was really good--The Things They Carried, by Tim O'Brien--we also talked about movies, TV, church and families. One woman has a masters degree in the criticism of feminist literature and says that all the women in her ward think she's a lesbian, but she has a great marriage and 6 kids. I found out that 2 of the women were in the MTC the same time as me, and had also married Elders who served in their missions.
I had given up the idea that women like me existed in Rexburg; that I had to filter my personality unless I'm with family and about 4 close friends. I am so excited that I have finally found a little niche for myself here.
*By the way, I'm almost done with The Book Thief right now...such a good book!
3 comments:
I haven't had that feeling of really fitting in...since about four years ago at the law firm! I have people around me that are my "friends", but I can't be myself...that's so awesome that you finally found some women you connect with and can be smart w...you can be yourself w me, but not smart - lol
I'm so happy for you! Sounds like my kind of people, except for the intellegent part..Good for you Erin. You deserve to be yourself and happy!
Rock on, my little forward thinker!
Post a Comment