Thursday, December 31, 2009

How We Made Cake Balls

So this year I was introduced to cake balls twice in 2 weeks. Once by the school librarian (she brought them for all the employees and told me how to make them) and once by Stacy when we were in Las Vegas. Stacy's were very smooth, had cute little faces on them and were on lollipop sticks. They looked professional, while Mrs. Miyasaki's looked a lot more like the way mine turned out.
First you bake a cake; we baked a lemon cake. After it cools, you crumble it into a bowl.
Then you stir in a can of frosting. We used lemon frosting. I eventually used my hands to thoroughly incorporate the frosting with the crumbs. This is where I have a question for Stacy: was I supposed to use a whole can of frosting? It seemed pretty sweet and pretty gummy when I was done with it.
Next we rolled little balls of the dough and put them on wax paper on a cookie sheet. We then let them chill in the refrigerator to firm up a bit.Then I melted a bag of white chocolate chips in the microwave and rolled the balls in the chocolate and put them back on the wax paper, then back in the fridge to harden.When I ran out of white chocolate, I used milk chocolate, which evidently has the power to make 7 year olds throw up. (See New Year's Eve post.)The finished product was tasty, but a little on the sweet side. I'd like to try other flavors. One cake made about 90 cake balls. That's a lot of balls.

1 comment:

Stacy LeFevre said...

Generally, I start with half a can of frosting and see how it goes. Sometimes I have to add a little more but generally I can get it all mixed up well enough with only half, as a whole can does make the "dough" too soft. And next time if you do want a more "professional" look you could use toothpicks to hold the balls as you dip them in the chocolate or do as I have done and make them into cake pops instead! Much easier to apply the chocolate!!