Sunday, April 11, 2010

Good Dinners, Bountiful Baskets

This is the last time we ate turkey...Landon forbid it in our house after this meal. It was tasty, but he was so sick of it that I had to give the rest away to Brook. (We would have frozen some of the leftover turkey, but we've found that defrosted cooked turkey doesn't taste very good.) This was turkey haystacks:
This was Kung Pao pork (we didn't have any chicken). It was SO GOOD! Landon got the recipe from a PBS Chinese cooking show. It was really simple to make and had such a good flavor. We made this same thing, but with sweet and sour sauce for the girls. They weren't crazy about the celery, but otherwise ate it.
So we signed up for Bountiful Baskets again this week, paid $23 and got this:
The price for a conventional basket of fruits/vegetables is $15, but we added a 12 pound box of strawberries for $8. Isn't that amazing? We were so excited. By the way, they have Bountiful Baskets in Las Vegas now (really close to your house, Nana), so I highly recommend it to anyone who likes fresh produce and likes a good deal.
We ended up with like 8 of these things...it took us a while to figure out what they were:
Then we realized that they were a new version of a mango that we had never tried. Landon and I ate one in about 30 seconds, and the girls just sampled them. They weren't crazy about them, but I think if we figure out a creative way to make a dish with them they'd eat them.
This is some kind of squash, but we don't know what they're called. They came wrapped in tissue paper for some reason. They're pretty tiny, but when you cut them open they look like a zucchini. Anyone know what they are?
And then we got 4 artichokes! I've never eaten a real artichoke before, just artichoke hearts from a can/jar or in a hot, cheesy dip at a restaurant. We're looking forward to experimenting with them.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

What tasty food...wish they had it in Vancouver.

Anonymous said...

Save me something fresh to eat! See you manana.

Heidi said...

I already checked it out and they don't have one here in Portland. I'm so jealous of all that yumminess!!!!

Lorina LeFevre said...

We are going to look into the one that is here. I hope we get something that looks as good as what you got. I can't believe Landon never cooked you an artichoke, we ate them as kids. don't forget to get the mayo out! Yummy!!

Kris said...

Morgan loves those Mango's. Make a salad and toss them with fresh mozz, and basil, and diced mango, with lemon juice and olive oil.
Yummy!

weasel said...

Those mangos don't really look good...that's because I was just in Tonga where they have the best freaking mangos ever!!! The artichoke dip sounds fantastic!!! I love artichokes dipped in lemon butter! ummm