Friday, May 28, 2010

Garden Progress

We went over to see the progress of our garden yesterday. We bought some tomato and onion starts to plant, and Kevin taught us all about different types of weeds. It's hard for teachers not to teach when presented with ignorance. We're very ignorant gardeners.This is the rhubarb! It's huge! We picked several stalks and gave them to my friend Jenny. Jenny doesn't know this, but Landon said, "Let's give some to Jenny and see what she produces with it before we attempt to make something on our own." I said, "How will we know what she makes and if it tastes good?" He said, "I bet she'll give some to us. When we gave her some potatoes, she brought hot banana bread over to us the same day."
Well, 5 minutes ago Jenny called me and told me to bring over an 8 X 8 inch pan and she'll make a double batch of strawberry/rhubarb crisp so we can have a pan. Mission accomplished!!!
The little baby shoot is corn! The other green things are peas, I think.We bought some tomato and onion starts at the nursery where I got my hanging flower basket for Mother's Day. (I'll have to post a picture of my basket soon.) Lauren is wearing the little tomato plant covers that keep the plants warm.This onion patch is an example of our complete gardening ignorance. We thought that when you buy the onion starts, you just plant the whole bunch in one spot, like the tomatoes. Well, we learned that each little shoot of green is one onion, so you separate them and plant them each about 6 inches apart. We bought 4 starts, so that's about 200 potential onions (Walla Walla onions and yellow onions). I hope my friends who live nearby are interested in some free onions later this summer.

4 comments:

jenny said...

Hope you like the rhubarb crisp, you sneaky gal!

Anonymous said...

Chopped onions freeze well. I love your garden.

Lorina LeFevre said...

Great garden, I wish we lived closer to reap some of the benefit. Christina's does have are garden going too. We should have some fresh stuff, but definately not corn.

Wendy said...

You call that soil?