Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pioneer Day Parade

We went to the Pioneer Day parade in St. Anthony again this year! It is such an awesome parade! They have actual floats instead of just dozens of dance groups and trucks with signs on the sides driving by.
Lauren was the main candy collector. Emma got up once in a while when they threw candy that she could actually eat with braces. This was one of the first parade entries: twin baby mules were born to a mare about 2 weeks ago. I guess it's really rare that a horse gives birth to twins because usually one of the babies dies or the mother dies in the process. Vets usually terminate one of the babies as soon as they can see via ultrasound that there are two babies. This time they didn't know there were 2 mules in there, and they were born healthy and the mom is healthy. Mules are a combination of a donkey and a horse. As I'm writing this, I'm amazing myself with how much I know about the breeding process of donkeys and horses.

OK, raise your hand if the following float makes you a little uncomfortable: One of the local wards made a float with a temple on it and a couple was standing by the temple IN THEIR TEMPLE CLOTHES waving to everyone. The theme for the parade was "our mountain home so dear," so I get the temple, but not the couple waving in their temple whites.

We were really excited about the BYU-Idaho float. They had student volunteers handing out potted plants to people in the crowd. Emma was thrilled.

Another interesting item: Governor Butch Otter and his wife rode horses in the parade. He's Idaho's governor. Landon had to keep his hand over his mouth not to yell something derogatory about the education budgets. Tom Luna, the state superintendent of education was also in the parade. Landon told the girls (really loudly so everyone could hear him) to not take any candy or papers from him because he doesn't support the teachers in the state. I had to look the other way until Landon was done making his point.

3 comments:

Lorina LeFevre said...

Somebody should yell at those officials, what they are doing to their teachers is wrong. Landon better join the union and start going to meetings. Go Norma Rae on them.

weasel said...

Laughing as I read about the donkey/horse thing...when Nase first came started doing concrete he worked at an old man's farm...there was a donkey and a sheep that really "liked" each other. We joked how they would have to work that out...there was a crate or something out in the field too...we figured it was what the sheep got on to make the gravity part not an issue - ha ha. Also laughing at the creepy neighbor - yuck yuck yuck!!!

Shannon said...

Go Landon!! I would have done the same thing but louder and causing more of a scene.