
Then I made a rustic-looking apple pie, which looked fair...
I used fresh lemon zest, carefully tempered the egg yolks, timed the boiling of the filling to the minute, whipped the whites to stiff peaks, sealed the warm lemon filling with the meringue, and baked the pies exactly 30 minutes.
They came out of the oven looking and smelling delicious. I chilled them 5 hours, and then took the fair apple pie and the best-looking lemon meringue to the Thanksgiving ward dinner. Sadly, even 9 hours of well-intentioned tender, loving, baking and chilling couldn't rescue my first attempt at lemon meringue.
Going...
Going...
Gone...
I later learned that cooking the filling too long can create runny filling, even when it looks perfect as you pour it into the shell. The good news is, it still tasted amazing. Landon and I each licked our plates. (But in all fairness, is there a dessert plate we wouldn't lick?)
Going...
Going...
Gone...
I later learned that cooking the filling too long can create runny filling, even when it looks perfect as you pour it into the shell. The good news is, it still tasted amazing. Landon and I each licked our plates. (But in all fairness, is there a dessert plate we wouldn't lick?)
4 comments:
I love all the pictures in your story. So sorry to see it didn't turn out so pretty. Sounds dang tasty though. Could you share your pie crust recipe?
Beautiful pies! Who cares if they ooze a little?!
Where did you learn to cook desserts? It wasn't from me. Ya done good!!
Hey, it's all about the crust, and I am totally jealous about those crusts!!!
Post a Comment