I got a phone call this morning to sub for a 1st grade teacher and I actually took it! I have been pretty vocal about only wanting 4th grade and older, but that information didn't make it on the online district sub list and I had a hard time passing up extra money. I put in a full day at Adams Elementary in 1st grade and lived to tell about it. I did OK with the kids, but I called the district office and asked them to put "4th through 12th grade" next to my name so I don't have to do it again. I literally said outloud at least twice during the day (while the kids were at recess), "what the hell am I doing here?" In reality, teaching those kids wasn't a lot different than dealing with a really big primary class. One kid had to go home because he smashed his head at recess, and one girl cried because she wanted to keep her show and tell a surprise, but then accidentally blurted out that her dad was bringing a fish to show everyone.
When I picked up the girls from Kennedy after school, I found out that Lauren had thrown up all over her desk as soon as the bell rang for the kids to go home. Her teacher is the teacher who won't let the kids go to the bathroom except at recess or before or after school. Lauren has so much anxiety over the idea that she might have to use the bathroom during class, that she just barfed on her desk rather then go to the bathroom. I figured the teacher got what she deserved (because she had to clean up the mess). Lauren seems to have a fever and will be home with me tomorrow. I did make oatmeal cookies for Landon to take to her teacher as a "sorry-you-had-to-clean-up-my-child's-vomit" gift, in spite of the fact that she gets what she deserves.