Monday, November 9, 2009

Babysitting

There's a really nice lady in our ward who has given Emma the opportunity to learn some babysitting skills. She has 3 kids (5, 3 and 9 months) and has allowed Emma to babysit twice. She wrote every detail of what Emma should do to take care of the baby, get the kids to bed, etc. She lives 2 buildings away here in the Meadows, so we're nearby if Emma needs help. The first time Emma babysat, the couple went to the temple and everything went pretty well. I only had to come over once to help get the baby back to sleep.
Friday night was the next time Emma babysat. Landon, Lauren and I were at the church setting tables and chairs up for Super Saturday. We were gone 1 hour, but had left Emma our cell phone number in case she needed us (she had forgotten to bring it with her). When we got home, there was a message on the machine left by Emma. She was sobbing and say, "Mom! Help! Mom! Help!" I ran over to find Emma very shaky, very emotional, but all three kids were in bed. Emma begged me to stay the rest of the time. Apparently the baby had started crying really loudly and it freaked Emma out. She said she couldn't get her to stop crying. I checked on the baby (who was rolling around in her crib), changed her diaper, had Emma give her a new bottle, and left her to fall asleep. Emma had done everything right, except when she broke down crying in front of the kids because of the baby. Emma decided she's done babysitting until she's older. (I completely support that plan.) She did get $15 for her experience and that helped a lot.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Poor Emma...I can't blame her for not wanting to babysit. It kind of sucks.

Kris said...

poor sad emma......im sad for her too. i know how she feels, but i cant quit.. dang it!

Heidi said...

It sounds like she knows what to do now and she'll get better as time goes on. When she's ready to do it again, she'll have some great experience to help her out. Good for her!!!

Anonymous said...

I see Emma reacts to babies the same way you and I do!

weasel said...

Wow - three kids, don't think I could do that!!! Especially a 3 year old and a baby!!! YIKES!