I survived my 4 days of 3rd grade at Burton Elementary! It was a long, hard week, but not without some funny moments. Here's the best one: A boy named Fisher (who doesn't have an understanding of personal space...he's about 2 inches from my face whenever he talks to me) came up to me to ask me to explain something on the worksheet he was doing. After I helped him, he started grabbing and messing around with his crotch. I asked him if he needed to use the bathroom, and he said, "no, I'm just looking for my pencil." I was confused, but then I saw him find his pencil in between his legs up under his "junk." (He wears sweat pants, by the way.)At first I laughed really hard, then I told him that was disgusting and to not keep his pencil there anymore. Well, later in the day during math, I saw him do the same thing. Evidently, that's his favorite place to keep his pencil. The grossest part is that these kids don't have their own desks. They sit at tables with a community pencil can in the middle of each table.Another Fisher story: Today he was walking back to his table and I asked where he had been. He said he just threw up. I said, where? Do you need to call home? He said he threw up in the garbage can and that he does it all the time. The rest of the kids confirmed this for me. I asked if he meant he just spit in the garbage can, but he said no, he really threw up from his stomach. He said he wasn't sick though, so he stayed the rest of the day.
I had a girl throw up on the floor on Tuesday. The room smelled like vomit the rest of the week. In addition to the vomit smell, there was a strong tunafish smell in the room from the lady who is the full-time aid for a slow kid in the class.
In spite of the fact that I dreaded going to this school every day this week, every girl hugged me when they left this afternoon and I heard many times that I was their favorite sub ever and that they'll miss me. I won't miss them at all, and I'll never take another 4 day sub job, but it was nice to hear that at least the kids liked me.
7 comments:
yuk!!!!!!!!!
The pencil remark made me laugh out loud and O asked if I was "ok". For some reason it reminds me of the stories you used to tell about Jeffery - the one who got you "furniture"!
The visual aid was the best. I can only imagined what it smelled like. I am anxiously awaiting a book on stories from a sub.
I've never heard of a kid doing that before. What a riot!
Reminds me of how the kids are constantly picking their noses in my field placement. I have had to make peace with the fact that if I told a kid to stop every time that I saw them doing that it would be the only thing I said all day. So, in the end it is kind of like sleeping under the covers at a motel. You know that the sheets and comforter have some pretty gross stains but you still need to sleep. You just have to put it out of your mind.
Hey, do you think someday he'll go on SSI from lead poisoning in his crotch?
Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching-everday is an adventure.
Post a Comment