Saturday, August 22, 2009

Canning Chicken

Broulims had boneless, skinless chicken breast for only $1.49 a pound this week, if you buy a 40 pound box. Since we don't have a big freezer, we decided to "preserve" the chicken in our pressure canner! Mom has a friend who has done this and I saw a jar of home canned chicken at the fair last week. It was amazingly easy, and we're planning to use the chicken for soups, casseroles, tacos, enchiladas and maybe even chicken salad throughout the next several months.
First, we just trimmed the fat, sliced the chicken and then packed it in quart jars (no other ingredients...it makes its own broth). Then we were able to pack 7 quarts at a time in the pressure cooker, cooked it for 90 minutes at 13 pounds of pressure. A 40 pound box turned into 15 1/2 quarts of chicken. This is what it looked like when it was done:

4 comments:

weasel said...

Man...this is the type of stuff they are trying to do in our ward, but don't have as good of ideas as you guys. You should totally do this for enrichment! I'm jealous of you food storage stuff...I am thinking of going to the cannery some time soon.

Anonymous said...

Looks strangely like the pig fetus' in jr. high biology. Disregard that when eating your bounty

Kris said...

that is so cool Erin. You are such a good mom! There ARE TWO lucy men out there who don't even know it, but we already know they don't even deserve them! ;)

Shannon said...

When I was in high school I dissected a pig fetus and we named him "Ralph" after our teacher. We even took pictures with the pig and our teacher--good times.